Los Altos Property Management
We Can Help Manage Your Los Altos Rental Property
We offer a full range of property management services tailored to you as an investor, homeowner, or landlord. We have an extensive portfolio with over 300 single family homes, townhouses, condos, and apartments in the Los Altos area. "Full-Service" means we specialize in preparation, marketing, administration, and tenant retention.
What we do as your property manager:
- Evaluate the Property and Determine a Rental Rate
- Market the Property
- Tenant Application
- Move In
- Rent collection
- Annual and Safety Inspections
- Accounting Services
- Maintenance, and Upkeep
- Move Out
Evaluate the Property and Determine a Rental Rate
- Meet at the property, discuss goals, plans, etc. for the property and provide a possible rental rate
- Offer recommendations on repairs and cosmetic improvements that maximize potential monthly rent while providing a good ROI
- Discuss with owners the pros and cons of different policies such as accepting pets, etc.
- Install a lock box
Market the Property
- Prepare home for rent
- Clean home
- Make sure the property is safe and maintained
- Create ads tailored to the property and advertising in 50+ locations:
- Paid and free rental listing websites
- Print publications
- Flyers and e-flyers
- Advertise and work with local realtors
- Partnered with Google, Apple, Ebay, etc. to insure access to high quality tenants
- Meet prospective tenants for showings 7 days a week.
- Provide prospective tenants with rental applications that are legally compliant with fair housing laws
Inquire About Our Services
Tenant Application Process
- Perform a background check to verify identity, income, credit history, rental history, contact and speak with current landlord and current employer etc.
- Notify Owner of applicants and include them in the decision making process.
- Draw up leasing agreement with agreed move in date
- Continue to market until deposit is received at the office.
- Review lease guidelines with tenant regarding things like rental payment terms and required property maintenance. Grant access to Tenant Portal website.
- Ensure all agreements have been properly executed
- Perform detailed move in inspection with tenant and have tenants sign a report verifying the condition of the property prior to move-in.
- Collect first months rent and proof of renters insurance at move in if not yet received.
- Receiving rent
- Follow up with late payments
- Sending out pay or quit notices
- Enforcing late fees
Annual and Safety Inspections
- Perform annual safety inspections (inside and outside) on a predefined schedule looking for repair needs, safety hazards, code violations, lease violations, etc.
- Send owner reports on the condition of the property
- Provide accounting property management services
- Make payments on behalf of owner (Mortgage, insurance, HOA dues, etc.)
- Detailed documentation of expenses via invoices and receipts
- Maintain all historical records (paid invoices, leases, inspection reports, warranties, etc.)
- Provide annual reporting, structured for tax purposes as well as required tax documents including a 1099 form
- Advise owner on relevant tax deductions related to their rental property
- Provide easy to read monthly cash-flow statements which offer a detailed breakdown of income and itemized expenses
Maintenance, and Upkeep
- Establish a preventative maintenance policy to identify and deal with repair needs
- Provide a network of licensed, bonded and fully insured contractors who have been vetted for good pricing and good work that is up to code.
- Assign jobs to different parties (in-house employees, handyman and professional contractors) based on who will do the best job for the best price.
- Maintain and Provide Gardening Service (owners expense)
- Maintain and monitor a 24 hour emergency repair hot-line
- Larger renovation or rehab projects
- Provide recommendations on how the project can maximize rental income.
- Prepare preliminary cost estimates
- Get multiple independent bids for the work
- Act as general contractor overseeing the work
- Inspect unit and fill out a report on the property's condition when the client moves out
- Provide tenant with a copy as well as estimated damages
- Return the balance of the security deposit to the tenant
- Forward any portion of the owner’s portion of the tenant deposit to the owner or hold in owner reserves for repairs
- Clean unit and perform any needed repairs or upgrades
- Re-key the locks
- Put the property back on the market for rent
I only have high praises for Don. He is highly knowledgeable in rental and real estate properties. He was easy to work with. He went out of his way to help me with a rental property and anticipated all of my needs. I find him very efficient. He was easily accessible to work around my busy schedule.
- Carl G | Client since 2005
What I like about DWM Properties is they tend to stay on top of changing trends and technology. Most recently they teamed with a property management system to help them "Go Green". We are seeing this more and more with a number of companies in Silicon Valley and at DWM Properties not only are they saving resources we can actually see everything regarding our property on one page. The staff at DWM are very helpful and will keep me posted on all activity. I certainly would recommend them.
- Craig H | Client since 2004
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if there is an after hour or weekend repair emergency?A: We have a 24-hour emergency system that allows us to make sure any emergency repairs are taken care of as soon as possible. Our vendors also have a weekend/after hour service available.
- View All >>
Los Altos Area Information
Los Altos strives to maintain a semi-rural atmosphere. Los Altos has few sidewalks except in commercial zones and along arterial roads. Minimum lot size for most residential housing is one-quarter of an acre. Most roads have broad dirt shoulders and little or no street lighting. The civic center sits in the middle of an orchard, a remnant of those that once covered the area. The downtown is a triangle with arterials on all sides that enable most through traffic to bypass Main Street. Many Los Altos homes fetch $2 million and higher, putting the city (along with neighboring Los Altos Hills, with which it shares ZIP codes) at numbers 24 and 28 on Forbes' "Most Expensive ZIP Codes in America" list in 2007.
Since the mid-1990s, downtown Los Altos has experienced mild economic difficulties due to competition from nearby shopping centers and chain stores, as well as its lack of a hotel or movie theater. Revitalizing downtown is a major issue in city politics.
Los Altos may have a legitimate claim to having the first scientifically designed sound baffle in the year 1970. Santa Clara County undertook a seminal study to calculate the effects of alternate soundwall designs along Foothill Expressway. The resulting wall brought about the predicted reduction of seven to ten decibels in noise pollution levels experienced by adjacent homes.
Areas We Service
- Los Gatos
- San Jose
- Los Altos
- Palo Alto
- Mountain View
- Los Altos Hills
- Santa Clara
- Willow Glen
- Morgan Hill
- Los Gatos Mountains
- Santa Cruz
- Menlo Park